Back to top


Come back any time to read Frank's latest thoughts about life, business and being a CPA in today's world. And if you have questions, Frank would love to answer them. Thanks for stopping by!

New law changes

There have been some changes to laws with the NC Department of Revenue that will affect you as a business owner. 1099 Workers who have an ITIN number and are paid at least $1500.00 during the year, you must withhold 4% for State Withholding.
            What is an ITIN Number
It is an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, given to people who are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number. ITIN’s start with the number 9, if they do not have an ITIN they can apply for an ITIN using form W-7.
Who does this affect
1099 workers who do not possess a social security number (H2A Labor).
            What must be done
If they have an ITIN number and earn over $1500.00 in the course of the year you must withhold 4% of their earnings. Example: if they make $5000.00 for 2011 you must take a total of $200.00 to pay to the NCDOR so their net take home pay would be $4800.00. You have 45 days from the last payment made to the contractor to make your payment to the NCDOR.
Paperwork needed
Attached you will find copies of a W-7 in English and Spanish. You will also find a copy of the rule from the NCDOR in English and Spanish to give to these workers.
Even though there is a $1500.00 exemption, our office is recommending that you withhold 4% from day 1 to cover you as a company from being liable to pay the money. Example: if you pay them on Tuesday and the amount due the worker is $1500.00, and the worker decides not to come back to work, you will still owe the 4% even though you did not deduct it from their check. We strongly suggest taking the 4% on all of these workers so that you do not get caught having to pay out additional monies.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office.